Now Accepting Applications for the 2013-14 Rising Leaders Scholarship Program
High quality internships provide students with valuable work experience that can enhance their future careers. The UC San Diego Department of Economics and the Economics Leadership Council (ELC) have created a program to help top students pursuing majors and minors in economics, management science, international studies-economics, and joint math-economics. We are now accepting applications for next year’s class.
The ELC, a group comprised primarily of UC San Diego Economics alumni and financial executives, has identified a network of professionals at top firms in finance, consulting, hedge funds, and accounting. Students selected as Rising Leaders will obtain assistance from the Department and members of the ELC and be marketed to these companies as top candidates for internships.
- Support from the Economics Leadership Council
- Scholarship of $1,500 (disbursed over the 2013-14 academic year)
- Support of a strong alumni network to assist in obtaining prestigious summer internships
- Technical assistance to improve application materials
- Some selected students may receive professional training from alumni
Qualifications to be Selected as a Rising Leader
- Be a current UC San Diego student, majoring or minoring in: economics, management science, international studies-economics, or joint math-economics
- Plan to return to UC San Diego after successful completion of the internship
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher and have completed some of the upper division core course-work
- Be interested in professional development in the internship areas
- Be willing to travel if selected for an internship
To be considered for the Rising Leaders Program, students must submit the following materials:
- Professional Resume (students are strongly encouraged to consult Career Services prior to submission)
- One copy of a recent degree audit
- One recommendation from a UC San Diego faculty member (in a sealed envelope or submitted directly from the faculty member via email to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- One cover letter (not to exceed 500 words) discussing:
- The career the applicant hopes to pursue and why
- Relevant academic studies and skills developed that make the applicant qualified for that career
- Any employment or extracurricular experience that has prepare the applicant for an internship
Application Deadline: Wednesday, May 1, 2013
Successful applicants for the 2013-14 Rising Leaders Program will receive support and guidance throughout the year to prepare them to compete for summer 2014 internships. Candidates will receive notification of acceptance to the Rising Leaders Program in June of 2013.
Candidates with diverse academic or cultural backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Opportunities for internships will be with companies throughout the U.S. with a high concentration in San Diego and New York. Paid internships typically last 10 weeks. Students who get an internship must be willing to travel to the placement location. Some internships serve as a recruitment process for permanent staff positions to start after the intern graduates. Because UC San Diego students will be competing against applicants from other top universities, the selection process is very competitive. Selected students are expected to play an active role in their internship search, and will receive advice relating to resumes, cover letters, and interview skills.